Interested in joining the ever-growing YES! network? Find all the information you need below!
Check out our Start a YES! Team Guide!
Choose an option that works for your team
- YES! as an Individual Class: Offer YES! as an elective class at your school, can be tailored to meet STEM requirements and/or other science graduation standards. Flexibility available to offer class for a quarter, semester and/or the entire year.
- YES! As Part of an Existing Class: Enhance a current class by adding project-based learning to your curriculum. YES! can be tailored to any discipline including science, technology, engineering, math, social studies, language arts, and business.
- YES! As a Club: Teams have found creative ways to form a YES! club before or after school as well as during lunches and study halls. Some teams meet once a week, others may meet monthly or bi-weekly. There is flexibility based on the needs of the coaches and team members.
- YES! As a Community Council: Teams can pair with other community groups or members to form a council that partners in YES! initiatives.
Enlist a Coach
YES! coaches are some of our favorite people. They are energetic, enthusiastic about making their schools and communities more sustainable, and fully committed to engaging youth in the process. They are typically teachers – often science, agriculture, or industrial tech teachers, but also instructors in language arts, social studies, health and fitness, Spanish, special education, or gifted and talented programs). Interested community members also make excellent coaches! In this case, it may be helpful (though not essential) to include an interested school staff person in the process. It is no surprise that people of this description are often very busy. We encourage teams to look for a community member or other school staff person to serve as “assistant” coach, or to enlist two equal co-coaches.
Complete and Submit Your Team Registration Form
To register, please complete the online YES! Team Registration Form.
- Click here to view a PDF that shows Registration Form prompts, including a list of YES! team benefits and responsibilities.
- After your registration is received, a YES! Coordinator will be in touch by phone or e-mail to welcome you to the program and to set up a time to meet personally with your team. The YES! program is designed to “meet you where you’re at” and provide the interaction that is most useful to the unique needs of your team, school, and community.
- The $600 team fee allows YES! to provide teams with customized education programs, hands-on events, and 1:1 support from a YES! Coordinator. Some teams offset the cost by seeking a local sponsor, organizing a fundraiser, or implementing a student-participation fee.
Questions? Please contact us; we’d love to hear from you!
Frequently Asked Questions
Which YES! coordinator should I contact?
- Simply e-mail [email protected] and we will guide you to the appropriate coordinator.
Which parts of Minnesota are served by the YES! program?
- YES! is a statewide program. See a map of current YES! teams here.
- We encourage prospective teams or partners in any part of Minnesota to e-mail us at [email protected].
Is there a team registration deadline?
- Registrations are preferred by September 1st so that teams have the opportunity to attend the Fall Summit, but the application deadline is flexible. We value the opportunity to assist prospective teams in laying the groundwork for their teams prior to submitting an application. Please contact us at any point during the year and we will guide you through next steps.
When is the team fee due?
- The team fee is due prior to the first YES! event of the school year, the YES! Fall Summit.
What funding resources are available to YES! teams?
- The YES! program provides project seed funds to every active YES! team. Each team is also eligible for expense reimbursement (transportation, substitute teacher fees etc.). Specific amounts vary annually – please contact your coordinator for specific details.
- By participating in the YES! program, teams are also competing for awards and prizes in spring.
- YES! coordinators can assist teams with seeking additional support from local organizations and businesses. Throughout the year, coordinators will also alert teams of numerous grant and award opportunities for which you can choose to apply.
What other paperwork is necessary to be a team?
- Besides the Team Registration Form, the parent/guardian for each team member should out a YES! Liability Release Form. We also require a Final Report describing your team’s activities for judging and grant-reporting purposes. Report forms and processes vary from year to year; your coordinator will detail this information for your team at the appropriate time.