On Saturday, March 3rd, members of the Northfield Transition Youth/YES! Team along with other area youth met to address the question “how can Northfield have a sustainable future?” This meeting was a part of the monthly Transition Northfield Resilience Plan sessions and was led by the local youth.
While enjoying a free, local, lunch the youth participated in a lively 2-hour discussion. This included thoughts on potential youth actions related to the economy, energy, and food. Many thoughtful ideas were exchanged related to current issues facing youth and the Northfield community.
Some awesome ideas that the youth came up with are listed below:
- Create skill-building opportunities, especially for youth
- Support a year-round farmer’s market
- Hold “stuff swaps”
- Start a Transition Northfield YouTube channel with ‘how-to’ videos related to sustainable actions
- Support community cooperation in energy conservation, starting with individuals
- Support self-reliance in food production
- Support ride sharing
- Enhance food related skills of residents, for example food preservation skills
- Find ways for schools and local farmers to better work together
- Continue to support programs that work to get fresh, local foods from community gardens to the local food shelf
Thank you to the Northfield Transition Youth/YES! Team for such a lively and thoughtful meeting!